Tuesday, November 07, 2006

How this came to be?

The concept for this site was born on October 24th, 2006.

There is nothing particularily different to set this date apart from any other date on the calendar. Save one minor, yet important detail.

It was on this day that our boss supplied us with paper daily planners. Nothing too shocking to be sure. Of course, when you take into account that we're a bunch of computer nerds that live and die by Outlook's electronic calendar, the concept of a paper daily planner is redundant, and dare we say unnecessary?

Regardless, the boss handed them out and asked me if they wouldn't be useful? Of course, in our office this is more of a dare by him to get me to admit that I, do not in fact, find my new daily planner useful. Of course, I oblige him and he tells me that I deserve a punch in the face.

The above paragraph is a small microcasm that encompasses the spirit of our office environment. Much like a men's changeroom. Our office swims with the intoxicating essence of testosterone. Nerdy testosterone, but testosterone nonetheless. It is an office filled with mock violence, bold threats, and all the makings of quasi-latent homosexuality that you'd typically find in a college frat house.

Our boss, is our alpha wolf. Stalking the office insuring we know our place. We in turn, sit and wait for a weakness, a chink if the armour if you will. A chance to strike. It is a cosmic, natural balance much like you'd find with gorillas in the jungle.

You see I decided to use my daily planner. Not for planning, but as a journal to mark the behaviour of our boss and how it relates to us.

I broke the incidents out by date and time. Recording them quickly, they are short, and often require further explanation for an outsider to actually understand. Unfortunately, the boss was aware of this book. Since it was all in good fun, we had a laugh, but I discovered that it changed his behaviour. This was a tragic turn of events. We had broken the fundamental rule of such an experiment. We had let the subject know of our research and as such, retarded the experiment.

I've let the project fall to the wayside for a few days in the hope that it will be forgotten. I have decided to eschew the book in favour of an electronic medium in which I can privately record my observations as well as any other quirk or goofball scheme the office cooks up.

So hopefully you will enjoy reading this blog as much as I enjoy making it. Feel free to share office tales in the comments or make suggestions. After all, its all in good fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home