Friday, June 22, 2007

But soft! What light beyond thy window breaks?

Tis the east and Romeo is a bum...

Last two days I've been flying solo because Romeo is out golfing and living it up. Normally, this would only be slightly painful. (What with being alone, no breaks, and missing out on Romeo's oh so fine man flesh) Instead it has been awful. Outages, changes, broken tools, fatigue. My God! You name it.

This morning as I approached the building. Weary and exhausted. I sensed something was amiss. It was only then that I noticed Chuck the office plant sitting on the wheelwell of a trailer. Alone, shivering, and frightened. His suffering was palpable, his demeanor sullen, his sense of worth unsure. The fleeting hope that his master the foul and cruel Romeo would ever return continued wane before my very eyes.

It was a watershed moment in both our lives. Chuck yearning for release from his torment, and only myself as hope. It would be up to me to make it so. I willingly assumed the mantle as his champion. I have claimed him as my own. He sits proudly on my window ledge. Defiant of the cold environment he had only recently escaped, the cruel master he never loved...